Saturday, May 12, 2012

Week 6: Our journey to the fasted lifestyle, pt. 10

Week 6 has been tough! This post will probably read like I'm all over the place, but it is kinda update-y.

I have noticed a cycle with ourselves and our daughter.  First off, our daughter will be super happy baby for a week to two weeks, then for like 3 or 4 days she is the moodiest little one ever.  Fussy, throwing fits, does not want to be away from us even for a second.  So we started the week off that way.  When she is like this it makes it difficult to get anything accomplished.  It really put a damper on wanting to cook.  My desire to get fast food was through the roof!  She came out of her funk mid-week.

The cycle that I noticed with ourselves is that we were slowly replacing out to eat with "quick, small trips" to the  grocery store.  We would go get something that we needed accompanied by a few things that we didn't.  Which would tally up in our bank account.  So we had to put our foot down.  Two trips per paycheck which is essentially once a week.  If we don't have it, we don't have it.  It makes it more pressing to really go over your menu and see what you have before you go.

Yesterday (Friday) was the night we celebrated Mother's Day.  My husband works Sundays so we celebrated early.  He has been conspiring with a friend's husband for a few weeks.  He told me over a week prior that there was a surprise and to prepare myself, we are going out to eat for the first time in 6 weeks and 5 days.  EEEEP!!!!

I started crying.  Yes, I did.  Sad I know.  I told him, I'm not sure I'm ready for this.  Can't I just cook for everyone?

You see, I don't handle sudden change well.  When it's thrust on me, I tend to stress.  So he totally did the right thing telling me early to get my panic out of the way.  It also gives me time to accept and pray about it.  It doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but to us, with our commitment to the Lord it really is.  But it did meet our one requirement for eating out, it has to be a special occasion.  And Mother's Day is special right?

Trust me I'm painfully aware that I was not very nice to my husband about this.  I didn't yell or anything, but my turmoil upset him because he was doing a sweet thing for me.  I felt awful!  I also had to clarify, that if I say the next day that "let's just get donuts or Whataburger" that he will have to firmly tell me no.  What I feared most was the slippery slope which I think is easier to fall into if it's fast food rather than a restaurant.

We went out last night and it was awesome!  Dinner at a surf and turf place with our friends.  The guys had told us to dress in something we wouldn't mind getting dirty.  We had no idea what to expect.  We came up with various scenarios that it could be.  Survival obstacle course, gun range, diamond mining expedition, being dragged behind a boat, Hunger Games death match, etc.  Of course they were outlandish, lol.

We actually went to paint pottery with our little girls.  It was so much fun!  The husband and I did it when we went on vacation a few months ago and we loved it.  I painted an angel with Z's hand print.  It was so sweet.  We pick up our items in a week.  What a sweet Mother's Day gift and dinner with some great friends!  I just love my guy!

I do have a few items to share health wise.  Husband went to give blood for the first time in a while.  He used to do it all the time, but with the chaos of the past year it was hard to schedule anything.  When he went in his blood pressure was 120/80!  The last few times he went to the doctor it was elevated.  I think the previous one on record was 130/90.  Also his cholesterol was 206!!!!!  It has been high in the past and it has been on it's way down since we stopped eating out.  YAY!  We know that the fast isn't about health or weight loss, but there is a cause effect thing going on, plus the blessings of the Lord pouring out.  Basically you eat junk, you have high blood pressure and cholesterol.  You don't eat junk, you have lower blood pressure and cholesterol.

That's our lives for the last week.  Lots of ups and downs and ended on a high note.  Lord, thank You for my sweet family and friends who are kind, generous, and supportive!

1 comment:

  1. oh wow. isn't it amazing how quickly things add up? we've been trying to be much more purposeful with our money, as well. thanks for the honesty! found you via the wiegands ;)

    ReplyDelete