Thursday, July 5, 2012

Naturally Frugal, pt. 1

For the past year or so, I have been experimenting with natural cleaners, health, and beauty products.  It was mostly born out of my vehement dislike of bleach (the smell makes me sick), the concern about what our cleaners do to our bodies, and the desire to spend a lot less at the grocery store.

Lots of research and prayer has gone into this.  It was really a 180 from where I used to be.  All this organic, natural business was "hippy dippy crap" in my opinion a few years ago.  (Sorry for the use of crap, I'm trying not to but I needed it for emphasis.  Sorry again for using it twice.)

As of now, I make our own laundry soap, all purpose cleaner, dish detergent, window cleaner, grease cutter cleaner, soft scrub, and some beauty masks for myself.  I also want to try making our own soap, lotion, sunscreen, bug repellent (personal and household), and deodorant.  I'm going to try to include a recipe a week so you can see what we have been up to.

This week I will talk about our All Purpose Cleaner.

Recipe:
- 3 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon washing soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon castile soap
- 2 Cups hot water

- A few drops of essential oil for scent and disenfectant properties (make sure it is very diluted.  Too much can harm the spray mechanism.)

This ingredients for this 409 replacement cost about 20 dollars up front, but you can use them many, many times and in other recipes.  I love Lavender scented castile soap and lavender essential oil for the antibacterial and antiviral properties.  All in all, I would say it's about $1.50 for a very large bottle (4 cup bottle).  And it lasts forever!  Ok, not forever, but a really long time.  I have three huge bottles: one in each bathroom and one in the kitchen.

A lot of my recipes and tips I have found on Pinterest.  That site has EVERYTHING!  Some I already knew from grandparents teaching.

I hope that I can pass on any tips and tricks to help your family stay healthy and stretch your dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment