Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Adventures in Eating: Mommy Confession

Our daughter eats way better than we do. She is on an organic lactose and soy free diet, while we eat fast food, sweets, and packaged garbage. [Hangs head in shame]

We get so wrapped up in the busyness of life that we sacrifice our health because it's convenient. We know better, we know what to eat, we know portion sizes... So why is it so hard. In a word-Us! We are the ones who get in the way because of exhaustion or laziness.

The Lord has been showing us that if we don't take time to eat better and take care of ourselves, we will have to take time to be sick. The hubby and I both have health issues and we don't want to see them get worse.

I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Zoe. Which I may not have really had. It may have been my gastroparesis. When the food in the stomach finally moves into the intestine, it skyrockets the blood sugar. But I digress... Either way, it's concerning whether the diabetes was there or not. I need to be looking out for warning signs.

I was pretty diligent about what I ate while I was pregnant after I found out about the diabetes. I was so worried about something happening to my baby girl. Why can't I think in those terms now? What kind of example am I setting, what if I get sick and can't be around for my baby girl? I need to consider all of these potential eventualities.

Part of the reason we are postponing giving Zoe fruits for the first year is the fact that we want her to want vegetables more than sweet foods (even fruits). If we can wrap our minds around the same way of thinking for ourselves, we would be on our way to health and well being.

Now comes the hard part, actually doing what I am talking about. I am going to purpose each week to make a meatless, veggie rich dish for the hubster and I. And then after we master that... We will see what we can add into this new way of life (or what we could take out).

At the end of the day, I don't want to obsess about what we are eating tomorrow. I don't want to live to eat, but eat to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment